National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine
One of today’s priority objectives of the Government of Ukraine is conforming Ukrainian system of technical regulation with the requirements of the World Trade Organization and European Community. Implementation of this objective is of outmost importance for Ukraine, taking into account that Ukraine became a member of the World Trade Organization as of 16th of May 2008 and currently negotiations are in place to create free-trade zone with Member States of the European Community.
The key element for reformation of the system of technical regulation is conforming Ukrainian accreditation system with the requirements of the European co-operation for Accreditation and signing of the recognition Agreement between the National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine and the European co-operation for Accreditation.
A Law of Ukraine “On accreditation of conformity assessment bodies” was ratified in 2001, thus established legislative, organizational and economical measures for accreditation of conformity assessment bodies in Ukraine.
In conformity with this Law, the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine created the National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine in 2001. Besides this, Accreditation Council, Technical committee for accreditation and Appeal’s Commission were created.
The main functions of the National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine are accreditation of conformity assessment bodies and further control over conformance of accredited bodies to the accreditation requirements.
Today the National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine conforms to the set requirements for independence, impartiality and absence of conflict of interest.
This is ensured in part by the Law of Ukraine “On accreditation of conformity assessment bodies” where it is explicitly stated that the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine, which created the National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine, has no right to interfere with the accreditation activities of the national accreditation body. Besides this, the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine does not have any subordinated conformity assessment bodies. The Ministry of Economy of Ukraine fulfilled all requirements of the European co-operation for Accreditation as to functioning of the Accreditation Council.
Thus, in accordance with the new Provision on Accreditation Council, the membership of the Council is made on parity basis from three stakeholder categories: governmental authority bodies; accredited conformity assessment bodies; enterprises and organizations, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, other scientific entities and social organizations.
Each stakeholder has one voice, which is identified by the majority of its representatives. Chairman and the Deputies represent different stakeholders and make up the administrative part of the Council. Each elected member of Council’s administrative part take turns in chairing the Council.
The main principles of NAAU activity are:
- providing of equality of rights, legal interests of all interested parties;
- accessibility and impartiality of conducting of accreditation works;
- transparency of accreditation activity;
- professional competence of executors of works;
- voluntariness of accreditation;
- providing of participation of executive authorities and social organizations on parity basis;
- application of requirements harmonized with international and European standards concerning accreditation;
- keeping of social interests;
- confidentiality of information got in accreditation process.
According to the entrusted tasks the main functions of NAAU are:
- Accreditation of conformity assessment bodies with subsequent control after their compliance with the requirements of accreditation, decision making on accreditation, renewal, suspending or withdrawing accreditation;
- Development of procedure rules and approval of accreditation programs of conformity assessment bodies, and also realization of control after their compliance with the requirements of accreditation;
- Organization of training of accreditation personnel and empower them to carry out accreditation activity according to the set requirements;
- Conducting of the register of accredited conformity assessment bodies and the register of accreditation personnel;
- Representing and participation from Ukraine in international, European and other regional organizations for accreditation;
- Formation of international agreements on cooperation and mutual recognition of accreditation of conformity assessment bodies within legally established order;
- Participation in work on harmonization of legal acts and normative documents with international and European rules and standards which determine the requirements for NAAU and accredited conformity assessment bodies;
- Conducting of the fund of legal acts and normative documents on accreditation;
- Creation of technical accreditation committees and approval of their provisions;
- Approval of provision on commission for appeals and alteration to it;
- Provision of annual information of NAAU activity results to the founder;
- Organization of information support on accreditation questions;
- Conducting of publishing and other types of activity according to the tasks defined by the NAAU Statute;
- Implementation of other functions not conflicted with the legislation and the NAAU Statute;
- Organization and conducting of seminars;
- Development of order and rules of payment for accreditation works.